Pages

Thursday, August 18, 2011

(BackStory) My Encounter with PawPaw (Osita Iheme)

On an ordinary day like the 7th of August, 2011, i was at the lounge of Nnamdi Azikwe International Airport, Abuja, waiting for my ticket number so i could get home. Then suddenly the Nigerian movie star Osita Iheme (aka PawPaw) walked into the building looking like a perfect gentleman, and far fresher than he appears in movies. So i brought out my phone and recorded a 2-seconds long video of him coming in. But

still i was not satisfied, rather i wished we were getting on the same flight when i saw him walk into Arik Air's office.
Minutes later, a message containing my ticket number came in, and i discovered it was scheduled for 5:40pm, so i was disappointed thinking i would miss him. I then decided to ask their information desk where i could print my ticket and i was directed inside their office. On getting in, i saw him standing and i thought this was my opportunity, after missing a lot of chances in the past.
Then a male staff asked me what i wanted. So i told him i wanted to print my ticket. He then said i didnt need to, i could show them the number instead. To say the truth, i really felt like punching him instantly, cause he was about to stand between me and a conversation with PawPaw. I eventually decided to go ahead and got my ticket printed.
Then i walked up to him, shook him (i think) and then said "I'm sorry, my sister is a big fan of yours, and i'd like to have your pics for her if you don't mind". Even though my younger ones were fans, i was a bigger fan, and i had to use that lie to get a picture. He then replied "Okay". Unfortunately, the picture did not show my full face but showed all of his, i then showed it to him and said "This one's not clear, can i take another one?" and he replied "No problem". After taking the second one, i then asked "How's Aki? (Chinedu Ikedieze)" and he replied "He's fine". Then i said "Say hi to him for me". Since i am a Writer, i decided to introduce myself to him. "I'm an aspiring writer, may be we'll meet in about 3 years time", and he finally replied "Okay". I then thanked him and moved out.
On getting out of the office, i didn't realise people were looking at me and admiring my courage, probably because i was putting on my NYSC cap. So a female staff stopped me and asked me for my phone so she could look at the picture. On collecting my phone, people gathered around her to look at the picture. It was then i realised they ain't got no mojo on except for me.
The only mistake i made was not making the funnyman laugh because i was probably star-strucked or nervous because all eyes were on me. I intended to say "I'm so happy to see you, if i wasnt a big boy, i could have rolled on the floor to prove it to you, but my future wife could be here". Brad Pitt would break his ribs for that line. Nevertheless, the encounter made my year.

Signed: Damouchi, 2011

No comments:

Post a Comment